Transforming Through T-Groups: The Facilitator's Journey
...the journey begins with virtual steps then a face-to-face T-Group
Transforming Through T-Groups
Learning to facilitate the learning of others
Were you intrigued with your own learning experience in an NTL Human Interaction (HI) Lab? Would you like to be on an HI Lab staff and facilitate a T-Group yourself, impacting -maybe even transforming -the lives of participants?
If so, Transforming Through T-Groups (TTTG) will be a necessary and vital step along your pathway.
TTTG is an intensive, challenging, advanced-level train-the-trainer program required of NTL members who want to qualify to staff NTL's signature HI Labs. It is open to non-NTL members as well. The program goals are to:
- Develop participant competencies in four key areas:
- Facilitating T-Groups
- Managing diversity and inclusion dynamics
- Designing, presenting and facilitating experiential learning modules
- Preventing distress reactions, and recognizing and responding to such reactions should they occur
- Provide training in effective T-Group facilitation for all participants.
Participants must have successfully completed an NTL Human Interaction Laboratory before attending this program.
Successful completion of Transforming Through T-Groups (TTTG) will enable participants to:
- Understand the five stages of group development and the group dynamics that are present in each stage
- Intervene effectively at individual, interpersonal and group levels of T-Group systems to support individual and group learning
- Understand the power dynamics involved in interactions across multiple dimensions of social identity group differences
- Track and describe diversity, inclusion and social justice dynamics in ways that create an inclusive and positive learning environment
- Design, present and facilitate experiential learning modules
- Create learning structures that help prevent distress reactions
- Recognize and respond to distress reactions if these occur
Program elements include:
- Theory & practice of group development
- T-Group methodology
- Theory & practice of diversity & inclusion
- Multi-level system & power dynamics
- Creating a safe container for learning
- Intervention skill practice
- Complexity of social system dynamics
- Restoring social equity
- Increasing self-awareness
A Blended Learning Approach
TTTG uses a blended learning approach that incorporates various synchronous and asynchronous online learning methods, including a series of webinars; an 8-day face-to-face learning experience devoted almost exclusively to T-Group facilitation practice; and follow-up coaching/mentoring support for NTL members during their initial HI Lab staffing experience.